The Moscow Museum of Modern Art presents for the first time in Russia an extensive solo exhibition of Jacques Lipchitz, a major personality in the 20th century sculpture, a foremost figure in the School of Paris, a close friend of Amedeo Modigliani, Chaïm Soutine and Pablo Picasso. The project is a part of the 70th anniversary celebration of the Israel State foundation. The artistic oeuvre of Jacques Lipchitz can now be found in different countries, forming part of best world museum and private collections. His solo exhibitions’ story started in 1920, while his retrospective shows’ record dates back to 1936. A Soviet art historian Abram Efros defined Lipchitz’s artworks as ‘the highest point, the climax of Russian integration’ into the western art world. The exhibition at the MMOMA will introduce the Moscow public to the art of one of the most significant sculptors of the 20th century. Besides, it will be a historic event for the world art scene, and rightfully so, as Lipchitz, a Franco-American artist of Jewish origin, was born in the Russian Empire, and now an extensive display of his works will be open in Russia for the first time ever.
In the Greek saga, the hero Odysseus survives dangerous adventures on his odyssey and completes mysterious tasks – returning home at the end perhaps as a different person. Like a contemporary Odysseus, in this exhibition, the artist Jonathan Meese (born 1970 in Tokyo and based in Berlin) sets off on an imaginary journey, making various stops along the way. In drawings, pictures and sculptures from over 20 years of artistic production, encounters with the most diverse, ambivalent protagonists and situations take place, which the artist approaches in his archaic role as symbolic redeemer and liberator. Visitors to the exhibition get to accompany the plucky, provocative artist on his voyage, but where will it end?
With some 120 masterpieces, the show presents the groundbreaking artistic innovations at the birthplace of the Renaissance. A comprehensive selection of exquisite panel paintings, sculptures and drawings transports visitors back to the time of the Medici and traces the development of the art in the modern age, from its beginnings with Giotto’s work to Leonardo da Vinci’s creations. The focus of the presentation is on the artists’ world of ideas and working methods. With new self-confidence they plumbed the depths of the real world in quest of the laws of harmony and beauty, they made drawings from nature and studied the works of Antiquity. The painters ambitiously explored the subjects, forms and techniques of their work and, as a result, achieved a variety of artistic forms of expression that had never been reached before, not only in the secular pictorial narratives and portraits but also in the images of private and ecclesiastical devotion. The exhibition provides a detailed insight into the work methods of Florentine painters and explains the close relationship between technical and stylistical change.
It was in monumental painting that Italian art reached its apogee. Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel ceiling and ‘Last Judgement’, the frescoes of Raphael, Pietro da Cortona and Tiepolo are among the most memorable creations of the human imagination. One of the earliest exponents of Italian monumental art was Andrea Mantegna, among whose major works is the ‘Triumph of Caesar’, made up of ten, large-scale panels which were originally mounted on one wall. Around 1500, Mantegna, ever the innovator, also produced a version of this work as a copper engraving (fig.). From then on, wall and ceiling paintings of all sorts were reproduced as prints. Out of an old art form a new one was born, one whose aim was to translate large and complex works into a format which was easy to comprehend and to handle. The printed sheets could be admired anywhere and they conveyed the concept of the artworks they represented in a way which was easier to grasp than the originals themselves. The exhibition presents around 120 works which are astonishing for their size and for their extraordinarily striking appeal as fully developed works of art.
This exhibition, which marks the 150th anniversary of the TU Munich, sheds light on the architectural history of the Kingdom of Bavaria during the reign of Ludwig II (1864-1886). The exhibition provides the first ever survey of the buildings constructed under his aegis, and of the projects that went unrealised. The focus is not just on the world-famous royal palaces and the spectacular theatre projects which Ludwig II personally commissioned, but also on the public and private architectural developments of his time. These include prominent buildings such as the Munich Rathaus (Town Hall), the Munich Academy of Fine Arts and the ‘Bayreuth Festival Theatre‘, but also buildings which are less well-known, but are architecturally outstanding and of cultural-historical significance, such as the original building of the ‘New Polytechnic School’ (now TU) in Munich, the synagogues in Munich and Nuremberg, the factory buildings of the Augsburg textile quarter and the ephemeral architecture created for the ‘Bayerische Landes-, Industrie-, Gewerbe- und Kunstausstellung‘, held in 1882 in Nuremberg.
Modern photography is intimately connected to urban culture. In the 1920s, photographers drew inspiration from the urban environment to make experimental compositions and create the ‘new vision’ of the Neues Sehen movement. Their approach is today considered emblematic of avant-garde photography. At the same time, however, many photographers directed their gaze towards the social fabric of the city. Adopting the role of flaneurs and street photographers, they documented everyday life and the sheer dynamism of the city’s countless inhabitants. These views show the city as a collective living space, while creating a multi-layered portrayal of people and their living conditions in urban space. The exhibition shows photographs from the 1920s to the 1940s by Aenne Biermann, Florence Henri, Germaine Krull, Man Ray, Albert Renger-Patzsch, and Friedrich Seidenstücker from the collection of the Ann and Jürgen Wilde Foundation.
Anselm Kiefer – THE MICHAEL & ELEONORE STOFFEL FOUNDATION ACQUIRES FIVE WORKS BY ANSELM KIEFER FOR THE BAYERISCHE STAATSGEMÄLDESAMMLUNGEN
The Michael & Eleonore Stoffel Foundation has worked in close collaboration with the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen to acquire on behalf of the latter institution five works by Anselm Kiefer. The acquisition marks a milestone in the development of the collection. Anselm Kiefer has created a body of work that broke the silence surrounding the German past in the Third Reich, while also finding a poignant language for articulating the global intertwinement of human civilization. He delves deep into old Christian, Kabbalistic, and Far Eastern traditions, explores the world’s great mythical, religious, and poetic texts, and forges links between them and the world as it is experienced today. The monumental painting “Der Sand aus den Urnen” (2009) and the two large wall pieces transferred onto lead in 2011 and entitled “OCCUPATIONS” (1969/2011) as well as the two display cases “Die 12 Stämme“ (2010) and “Morgenthau” (2016) will now form an additional highlight in the collection profile at the Pinakothek der Moderne.